Explore Magnetic Island
You’ll be spoilt for choice for things to do on Magnetic Island with its staggering 23 bays and beaches. Some are tiny rocky coves while others stretch across kilometres of golden sand. The glorious five bays are amongst the handful which are only accessible by water, and you will need a trusty tour guide to take you there.
Jump on the SeaLink ferry to Magnetic Island – it’s only 20 minutes from Townsville! And discover these top 10 things to do on “Maggie” for your next brilliant escape with your family!
1. Spot wild koalas when you hike to military history on Magnetic Island’s Forts Walk. You can expect beautiful views of the island, and fascinating WWII history shared on plaques along the trail. As you hike, keep your eyes peeled for koalas in the trees. Locals do guarantee you will see koalas and you won’t be left disappointed. The Forts Walk is the most popular walk on the island and is a must do! Give yourself 2 hours, including breaks to take photos, admire koalas, and stay hydrated.
2. Pick up a snorkel card, your snorkel equipment and spend some time discovering the snorkel trail in Geoffrey Bay. This trail offers you the opportunity to explore the Moltke wreck, a WWII aeroplane propeller, an engine block from a CW-22B Curtiss Falcon, and many different species of coral and fish.
3. Did you know from Maggie you can get to the outer Great Barrier reef and discover an underwater wonderland just this like? Jump on a dive boat departing either Maggie or the mainland and spend the day exploring Lodestone or Keeper reefs.
4. If taking in a view is your thing, then there are plenty of stunning vantage points right across the island, including Spinifex Lookout, the Forts of course, Arthur Bay and, Hawkings Point – just to name a few!
5. Discover the incredible beauty of Magnetic Island from above and below the water with Aquascene Charters, Pilgrim Sailing or Big Mama! Not only experience mesmerising snorkelling on coral reefs, but learn about the island’s history, its marine life and hear a few yarns along the way.
6. Sunset at Horseshoe Bay, one of the most popular beaches on the island. Sit with the family on the beach and watch the sky turn from brilliant orange to pink.
7. After a day at Alma Bay, visit the Arcadia Hotel Pub to catch their famous ‘Cane Toad Races’! Yep, you heard that right, and it’s as hilarious as it sounds. Wednesday nights, this event is entertaining for travellers of all ages, and is a must-do on ‘Maggie!
8. Start the day right by experiencing breakfast with the koalas at Bungalow Bay, the only resort in Australia that can boast its own on-site wildlife park. Throughout the morning you’ll have the chance to meet koalas, Harry the wombat as well as lizards and other wildlife, it’s an experience unlike any other.
9. Across from Bungalow Bay down a very quiet street you will be lucky enough to find the Butterfly Walk near the old schoolhouse. Filled with thousands of blue monarch butterflies, this walk is magical during the cooler months.
10. Arguably the best sunset on the island with uninterrupted views of the golden hour. Starting in Picnic Bay, the drive to West Point will take around 20-30 minutes along a grated dirt road and is restricted to some hire cars. A fabulous spot for fishing and picnics, plan to spend a few hours but don’t forget your mosquito repellent.
For more Magnetic Island Inspiration and another brilliant family escape go to http://www.sealinkqld.com.au for more information for some great holiday deals!