Life after the age of 30 should come with a handbook. It’s bizarre that it doesn’t. Even the $14.00 rice cooker we bought at K-Mart came with a ‘how to’ guide.
So how is it that in the decade that sees the biggest upheaval in most of our lives, we are left to navigate it alone? Life after 30 can be a challenge at times. I myself am turning 38 this year and as I head into my (nearly) late 30’s I decided to start a list of all the stuff that hit me like a tonne of bricks after hitting the big three-zero. So here we go, in no particular order:
- In your thirties you start taking grocery catalogues very seriously. Junk mail used to be exactly that – junk. However, in your thirties the chance to grab a punnet of strawberries for under two bucks is an opportunity that cannot be ignored.
- The taking of antacids like Mylanta or Rennies becomes a normal part of life. Particularly after drinking too much or eating too much (bread I’m looking at you).
- You discover really good TV on the SBS and ABC apps. You also love that unlike Netflix, Stan, etc, they are completely free.
- You start to scoff at events that have a start time of 7.00pm or later. Don’t these people know we have jobs? Talk about burning the candle at both ends.
- You sometimes get a sudden burst of satisfaction that all those superannuation accounts you had from different jobs in your teens and 20’s are now amalgamated into one. You’re practically The Barefoot Investor.
- You refuse to believe there are fully grown adults born after the year 2000. How could they be adults now but were only born the year the world discovered Nikki Webster?
- You get excited about Flybuys points.
- Sleeping through the night becomes an achievement. On the off chance you manage to pull a sleep all nighter, you are completely jet lagged for the next 48 hours.
- You randomly wake up stiff and sore. It can be any part of the body and for absolutely no reason at all.
Apologies now to the twenty-somethings who have randomly picked this up in a doctor’s surgery or similar and had no idea these random transformations are about to occur. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Cliffo Hit 103.1